THINGS I'LL NEVER PROMOTE

December 08, 2017

Since integrating into the blogging community earlier this year, I've been offered a fair few sponsorship deals and promotions. This is nothing new to me, as I've been an affiliate for companies on Tumblr before, and my previously large Instagram following attracted a lot of business deals and free items to add to my wardrobe. I never truly understood the rules and regulations regarding these promotions, and since clueing up I've become very selective in what I say "yes" to. I'm not fussy on whether I charge for reviews, and quite often I'm happy enough to accept a new product in lieu of actual payment (which is a whole other ethical debacle in itself which I won't get into right now). By no means are my e-mails flooding with opportunities, and I can go months without so much as a peep from any brand or PR. But when I do, some deals just don't sit right with me, and I think it's important to address companies and products I fundamentally disagree with, and that you will never see me promote on my blog. 



DETOX TEAS AND COFFEES
My issues with detox teas go way back, and at one point in my life, I was one of the vulnerable young girls struggling with my appearance and developing body that bought into them. If you have no knowledge of the products are companies, how they operate is by producing so-called "detox" teas to reduce bloating over a certain period of time, which are pumped full of nasty ingredients and laxatives. They usually work with well-known influencers with a huge social media reach, a very good body image, and a predominantly young audience who may feel unhappy with their appearance and want to change something. After all, if they make you look like someone who is tall, thin and happy with their appearance, they must work - right? I was shocked and outrage when one of these large companies reached out to me a few weeks ago, and I'm still shocked. After hearing Charlotte's story, it has become clear to me that these companies don't give a damn about who they contact, and who may be on the receiving end of these promotions. Granted, they may work for some people, but you will never catch me promoting anything along those lines. That's a good old cuppa with almond milk in the pictures. 

ANIMAL TESTED COSMETICS
I've been making a conscious effort to change my ethical stance on cosmetics and my diet for a while now, and the easiest thing you can do is swap big, animal-tested brands, for sometimes cheaper and cruelty-free alternatives. This is something I've applied to how I approach sponsorships with brands too. I'm usually happy enough with most T&Cs, but the one question I always as is "Are your products cruelty-free?" and in most instances, like with TOTM and Palmer's, I have felt reassured that the products I've been gifted won't contradict my ethical stance. However, some brands either aren't transparent enough for my liking, or just simply don't reply to the question. The best advice I can offer to someone who is looking to get into cruelty-free cosmetics and products, is to always do your research before agreeing to any deal. Cruelty Free Kitty is a great place to start, and Vix posted an absolute corker of a post regarding ethics in the blogging industry. 

SUPPLEMENTS
Hair vitamins, skin vitamins, eyelash vitamins and even vitamins that take the place of vitamins - yep, I've seen it all in the blogging industry. I can be a little vain sometimes, but never in my life have I entertained the thought of trying any of these things, and just because I'm a blogger that doesn't make me in anyway more inclined to do so now. Essentially, you post a photo with the bottle and that's it, and I have a sneaking suspicion that most influencers never actually try the products themselves, and I'm not about to start misleading the people who take time out their day to read my posts just to make some quick money.  Blogging is a tough old business, and I give props to anyone who makes money from what they do, but some deals just don't sit right with me, and I wouldn't want to take part in myself.

FIDGET SPINNERS
Yes, I did have an e-mail that landed in my inbox this week from a Chinese company asking me to feature their fidget spinners in one of my Christmas gift guides, in exchange for 10% of the charge is I managed to sell any. Great business deal, especially when the fidget spinners cost $3 each which might just give me enough to pay my rent with. I have worked on this kind of deal before, but only for companies I actually like. However, recently I'm trying to work with smaller businesses instead of re-sellers and wholesale brands, so as of right now those kinds of brands are off my promotion list.

FALSE REVIEWS
Now this may not necessarily be a product based point, but I know it's something that other bloggers get almost daily. Sometimes companies or brands will pop up in your inbox and ask you to post a pre-written, positive review about a product that you don't even have to try yourself. You get paid, and they get promoted, something that I fundamentally disagree with. I write my own posts, and I write them honestly, and I would never mislead my readers into believing a product that seems like absolute crap, is the best thing since sliced bread. Morally, I don't agree with it and I think it's shameful that brands and PR companies try to take advantage of new bloggers who might not know any better. Equally, I refuse to link to brand's websites on posts that I've written for other brands, especially when they have nothing to do with the post at hand (looking at you reviews dot com) because it's senseless and completely distrustful. 



What are some of your brand horror stories? Which products would you never, ever promote?

I hope you've enjoyed this slightly ranting, angry post and it's given you something to think about regarding the ethics of the blogging industry.

Thanks for reading, until next time

Rachel x

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Love this post, it's so important to stick to your views and ethics in my opinion! I totally agree with you on supplements, they can be so dangerous - you've got no idea what might be in them and I've heard so many horror stories about them x

    Alice www.accordingtoalicex.com

    ReplyDelete